Besides being bad for your car and leaving you stuck, it can be downright embarrassing to run out of gas, (even if you have a roadside assistance plan coupled with your extended auto warranty). We’re going to give you some of the best tips for keeping your car fueled up properly as well as a few ways to eke out some extra miles if you let the tank get lower than you intended.
Tips to avoid running out of gas:
- Never let the car get under one-quarter of a tank of gas. This allows you to have plenty of fuel to make it to your next stop if you get stuck in traffic or notice you’ve reached a quarter tank when miles from a station.
- Always fuel up first if you anticipate traffic or bad weather.
- Don’t rely solely on the gauge. Keep track of how many miles you drive on each tank.
- Use smartphone applications to find close gas stations (or to shop around for cheaper gas if you have a quarter of a tank or more).
Tips if you are running low on gas:
- Don’t use power. This would include turning off the radio and unplugging your smartphone.
- Don’t use the A/C or roll down the windows. Both options reduce gas mileage.
- Drive slower. Most cars get better mileage when driving slower than 45 miles per hour. Just be sure to use your hazards lights if you are going to drive that slow on a US highway.
Protect Yourself with an Extended Warranty and Roadside Assistance
Besides offering practical tips for drivers on our blog, Vehicle Service Center is also here to protect your time and money with cost-effective coverage options and roadside assistance plans. To get your free quote, call us today at 1-800-280-6708, or you can request a quote from our website.