If you are driving a car, you at least need to have the transmission covered by a service plan or extended warranty. Why? Primarily it is for peace of mind. The fact is that a transmission replacement is ridiculously expensive if you don’t have a warranty. Here are a few things you should know about transmissions.
- The transmission in your car should last at least 100,000 as long as you provide normal care and there is no manufacturer defect.
- Maintenance of a transmission requires occasional servicing as well as a fluid flush. The owner’s manual of your vehicle will let you know how often these services should be performed as it differs from manufacturer to manufacturer.
- When you buy a used car, you may not know how well the previous owner cared for maintenance. This makes it even more important to have some kind of service contract to protect you.
- Simple repairs such as for a clutch can cost less than $1,000.
- Full transmission replacement will cost you at least $2,500 and probably more like $3,500 and up.
- Some garages will be willing to rebuild a transmission rather than replace it. While this can save you $1,000, it does come with some downsides.
Protect Yourself from Expensive Transmission Repair
Rather than have to worry about how long your transmission should last or how much it will cost to repair or replace it, Vehicle Service Center can offer you peace of mind with our extended auto warranties. To determine which coverage options are best for you, call one of our vehicle protection specialists today at 1-800-280-6708, or you can request a quote online.