An extended auto warranty is always smart when you are purchasing a used vehicle. However, you also want to extend the time between breakdowns as long as possible. Here are 5 upkeep tips if you want your vehicle to go the distance.
- Avoid aggressive driving – Slamming on the breaks wears them out quicker and stomping down on the gas is terrible on your transmission. Both affect your tires, suspension, and the engine in general.
- Avoid traffic – Driving in heavy traffic isn’t just bad on your nerves. It’s tough on your car too, especially the transmission and the brakes.
- Wash your car regularly – Leaving road debris on a vehicle can destroy the paint job. That’s more than just cosmetic damage. The outer layer of your vehicle keeps the body from developing rust spots that can land it in the junkyard well before its time.
- Keep your tires inflated – Not only does this save the life of the tires, but it can save your life as well by avoiding a blowout. Rotating the tires can also help them to wear evenly.
- Change the oil on schedule – 3 months or 3,000 miles is actually too often on most modern vehicles, but for older cars it may be appropriate. Check the owner’s manual and stick with the schedule it recommends. This is probably the number one factor in how long the engine will last.
Protect Your Car (and Your Wallet) with a Vehicle Service Contract
Vehicle Service Center can help you to select the right extended warranty to meet your needs. Speak with one of our vehicle protection specialists today by calling 1-800-280-6708 or by requesting your free quote via our website.